About This Blog

My photo
I have loved things Country and Western all of my life. I have loved the ranches and farms, the work, the fields, the barns, livestock, and the food. I was born and raised in Kentucky where I learned to ride and care for horses. Most of my family lived on farms and/or were livestock producers. I have raised various livestock and poultry over the years.I have sold livestock feed and minerals in two states. My big hats and boots are only an outward manifestation of the country life I hold dear to my heart. With the help of rhyme or short story, in recipes or photos, I make an effort in this blog to put into words my day to day observations of all things rural; the things that I see and hear, from under my hat. All poems and short stories, unless noted otherwise, are authored by me. I hope you enjoy following along.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Call Me Free




All the boots in a circle round the fire

Looked liked the numbers on a clock.

There was Fred, Jim, Bo and Reese

And the man they all called “Doc”.


“Whachu doin out here anyways Doc?”

Asked a cowboy across the flames.

“You got college, and you talk real good,

You coulda made ya’self a name”.


Doc blew the steam from his coffee cup

Then two fingered up his hat.

He looked up at the cowboy, then into the fire

And said “ Yes, I’ve had all that.”


“I’ve had jobs, titles, secretaries and a desk.

I’ve given orders, and I had respect.

I had a wife for a lot of my life.

Had a big house, and a belly load of debt.”


“But, all those things became a prison cell

When love rode off one day.

It never came back, and I decided to pack

And just be on my way.”


“There is nothing that can free a man

Who’s trapped in a life he doesn’t choose.

Not all the gadgets in a big box store,

Nor all the bottles of booze.”


“One day I left all and headed west.

I met a rancher who needed a hand.

I promised I’d learn all I could

If I could just live with the cattle and the land.”


“The rest is history, as they say

And tonight I’m on this drive.

Oh, I’ve had my share of livin,’

Just not enough of being alive.”


“Sometimes I’m bone tired and weary

But, it’s the best kind of tired.

I’ve spent the day free and outdoors,

And at night I’m around the fire.”


He looked up at the canopy of stars,

As far as the eye could see.

“Make a name for myself?” he said to the men.

"Just call me ‘Doc”, and call me 'free.' "

K.L. Dennie July 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any posts.