About This Blog

My photo
I have loved things Country and Western all of my life. I have loved the ranches and farms, the work, the fields, the barns, livestock, and the food. I was born and raised in Kentucky where I learned to ride and care for horses. Most of my family lived on farms and/or were livestock producers. I have raised various livestock and poultry over the years.I have sold livestock feed and minerals in two states. My big hats and boots are only an outward manifestation of the country life I hold dear to my heart. With the help of rhyme or short story, in recipes or photos, I make an effort in this blog to put into words my day to day observations of all things rural; the things that I see and hear, from under my hat. All poems and short stories, unless noted otherwise, are authored by me. I hope you enjoy following along.

Friday, June 17, 2016

A Vote and/or A Prayer



When I am asked if I am a Democrat or a Republican, my standard answer is “I’m an American.”
At the ripe old age of 18, I registered to vote as an Independent. Coming from a family who, at that time at least, were strong Southern Democrats, that was quite a break. I felt then that I did not want to do something so important as voting to put a leader , local or national, in office based on a tunnel-vision affiliation with one groups ideals. I felt that my vote should be for the candidate, the person, that was the most qualified, honest, ethical, moral, principled, and of the most integrity. All these years of political sickness that has both Democrats and Republicans fighting  for the party instead of the Country, has only re-enforced my belief that I will not be shepherded into a vote. I can’t be part of the crowd when the crowd is going over a cliff.

It used to be said "Vote your conscience”. Is there a political conscience at all any more? Do we vote for our children’s and our  grandchildren’s sake? Do we vote for our Countrys’ sake? Do we vote for the Kingdoms sake? Are we still ‘One Nation Under God’ or a nation that has put God under? I believe that more good can be done by voting on our knees than voting for a person that in our hearts we feel is wrong.

I have no confidence in our government to consider the moral, ethical or spiritual welfare of our wonderful country any longer. We have the most corrupt body of people governing us since the founding of our great nation. “For the good of the people” has been replaced for the gain of the politicians. We have few folks in office, if any, whose main consideration is the citizenry and not the next election and their personal wallets.

The best and the brightest no longer lead us, the well-connected and shrewd do.

It is a sad, sad day when the very best this country can offer for a Presidential Candidate is well documented, proven crooked, chronic liars and law breakers. A prayer lifted to Heaven is all you hope to do to find comfort in this coming election. To pray that God takes the reigns, and turns the hands and minds of those in office to protect our dear nation and steer it back to the God fearing country it was founded to be. I cannot in good conscience vote for the pathetic offerings from any of the parties today. Am I saying we shouldn’t vote at all ? No, I’m just saying I’m saddened and disheartened  by the lack of anyone I CAN vote for. And, personally, if I vote my conscience… I can’t vote at all.

Ronald Reagan was asked, after leaving the Democratic party to join the Republican party, if he was now a Republican for life. He stated “No… I am a conservative for life.”  He went on to add that whichever party Democrat, Republican, or otherwise, served a Christian conservative purpose, that is where he would cast his vote. I wholeheartedly concur. But, where is such a party in America today?

This year our voting choices are to vote for one candidate to only make sure the other candidate loses. So who wins? The politicians do. Who loses? All of us do. An election is won and a country feels lost.

I intend to vote on my knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any posts.